Timeline

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Lots of Firsts

Atti had a big weekend. He met his Aunt Rhonda for the first time - she's pretty cool he told me. He had his first outdoor adventure (this freaking Texas heat has put a damper on most of the outdoorsy stuff) when we met our law school friends for crepes. The crepes rocked - the heat and humidity was awful.... After brunch, I gave Atti a bath to get ready for the next part of the afternoon. Greg took Rhonda on a whirlwind tour of campus and downtown Austin. There were a ton of events going on in town this past weekend so Rhonda got to see Austin at it's finest - there was Bat Festival, the Human Race 10K and about a dozen other things going on!! One day (hopefully when it's say 80 degrees instead of 110), I'd like to run/walk in some of these events.

But I digress.. next up was the Hadd family BBQ. Funny thing, it was held at my Aunt's brother's house - who isn't a Hadd. :-) But, holy moly can that family make some fabulous homemade BBQ. If you'd seen the amount of meat I consumed...seriously, you'd have thought I was pregnant again (ha). Brisket, ribs, potato salad, deviled eggs - I am a southern girl through and through!! The day was fun but tiring. Atti did well hanging out with family and being all cute for everyone. Only issue of the day was the freaking heat - what are the chances that two weeks in a row at family gatherings the air compressor would go out and it would be as hot inside as out. Oy. Poor little man was toasty!!

Sunday morning, Greg and I wanted to take Rhonda to one of our favorite brunch spots, Kerbey Lane. (It was also Atti's first trip to Kerbey!) We thought we'd go all out and head to the original location. Unfortunately, it was not the best meal we've had there (seriously how dare they burn my gingerbread pancake!!) -- but since it was the ambiance we were after... I suppose it was still a good time. The rest of the day was pretty low key - just chilling at home, trying to keep the little guy happy. Not sure if it was too much stimulation or what -- but starting about Sunday, Atti has been returning to his "screamin demon" roots. No fun.

Monday - same o, same o. Hung out with the family - it was really great to just lounge around, chat and just do a lot of nothing!! (Except take pictures of the baby -- those will be posted shortly.) Greg and I dropped Rhonda off at the airport - glad to hear she made it home after having to go east to get west! I continued to try everything under the sun to calm Atti down while Greg headed to the coffee shop to get some school work done. The constant screaming was apparently distracting while he was trying to read and comprehend law school stuff. Go figure!

Tuesday, hmmmm... guess that was just yesterday... Greg headed off to school and a very tired mommy tried again to calm down the screaming demon. Poor guy. Apparently something was really bothering him. We tried bouncing, walking, swinging, changing, burping, slinging -- it was not a good morning. I finally caved and looked up colic on Google. Oh dear, everything I read led me to think that my dear precious little prince had suddenly developed this awful sounding ailment. I spoke to the nurse at the doc's office and she suggested they look him over just to be sure it wasn't an ear infection or some other physical ailment. Into the car seat we go -- and he's silent. Murphy's freaking law. We saw Dr. Hargrave this time -- he's another really great doc at the practice. I listed off symptoms and the few things that seem to calm Atti down. The diagnosis was that it could be either acid reflux or colic. Ugh. Poor guy - so either his tummy is burning causing him to spit up most of what he's eating and then scream... or it's colic and he's just screaming causing him to spit up. Neither sound like much fun. For either of us!! So, we've got a two week trial of baby Prilosec (who knew it even existed?) and some gripe water for the colic. We're going to try a little bit of everything. Mommy wants a happy baby! And a non-screaming baby makes everyone happy!!

It's now lunch time on Wednesday (happy anniversary to us) and so far so good. Atti did really well taking the Prilosec last night and this morning. So far, no spit up either - and only the smallest of fusses. I feel awful - how did it take me so long to realize that the poor guy had indigestion? I'm hoping the day continues in a forward direction with less screaming. It's so hard to look at your sweet little baby when they're turning colors from screaming and remain calm and focused and "together".

I'm off to take advantage of the nap and actually fix some lunch - woo hoo!! I'll post the pictures from the weekend up on Picassa in a few!

No comments: