Timeline

Thursday, January 1, 2009

The "British" Spelling

Ok... this is too funny not to share. It's also a bit scary to think about...

While Greg and I were at Border's in Fort Wayne, Indiana - I overheard the following conversation while looking through the post-holiday sale bins:

Mom: Picks up a stuffed bear holding a sign that reads, "Happy Channukah". She looks completely puzzled and hands it to her daughter (tween/early teens). "I don't understand this spelling."

Daughter: "Mom, it's just the British spelling."

Mom: "Oh, I didn't realize it was that different."

Okay - I laughed to myself when the daughter spoke with authority meaning that there are different ways to spell the word "Hanukkah" or "Channukah". I thought to myself, hmmm... I didn't know it was "British" but if thinking that makes her happy, so be it. I never know the which way to spell the word myself!

Then... I retold the story to Greg. Greg laughed out loud and said, "No, Jen. The Mom now thinks Channukah is the British spelling for Christmas!!"

Oy. I take for granted that I live in a world of diversity. Some folks don't realize that their way is not the only way. I am thankful for my friends and family that come in every shape, size, religion, nationality, color, etc!!

No comments: