Timeline

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Where to Begin

Wow. I seriously don't even know where to start. It took about 24 hours from start to finish to get from DFW to Tel Aviv, but we made it. 3 adults, 1 baby, 3 suitcases, a stroller, a car seat, a diaper bag, a laptop bag some other random carry-on bags, etc. Whew. We actually did pretty well with the trip here I think. The stewardess on our BA flight from Dallas to London was a doll! We learned that she has a one year old little boy at home and that this was only her third flight back from maternity leave! I swear she spent 80% of her time tending to us and the other 20% to the rest of the plane! And... to make it just a bit better, we got lucky and there was an empty seat on the plane next to me - so Atticus got his own chair! He spent some time in our laps, some time in his chair and some time in the funky little bassinet that attached to the wall. We arrived at Heathrow, changed terminals and got checked in for the next flight. The BMI flight was fine - not as smooth (in many ways) as the BA flight -- but the end result was the same. We landed in Israel. The Grand Bubbe, Bubbe, Me and Atticus -- 4 generations -- all in Israel. Nicole and her friend Dena picked us up and shlepped us to the hotel/apartment. We're staying at the Ben Yehuda apartments -- they're nice. Small and efficient kitchenette, table, sofa bed, and a couple bedrooms. So far so good. All of us CRASHED when we got here. Amazing how much a couple flights can take out of you!

The tours started the next morning at 9 am. There's so much history in this tiny little country that you could spend an entire day in each of these cities and still not really absorb all the history that happened there. I'll go into more detail of each location soon. The tours have been great - but it really is so much information. I wish I would have read up on my Jewish and Middle East history before we made the trek! The baby has done great in the Ergo for the most part and the Grand Bubbe is holding up pretty well. Then came today... Jerusalem. It was 45 degrees, rainy and just miserable. Nobody had a great experience. I feel bad for the Grand Bubbe. Of all days to not be able to really take in where you are... in Jerusalem? Sigh. Good news is that we're going back on Monday after my Dad and Shawn arrive. We didn't even go to the Western Wall today because I just wanted to get my crew back to the bus. Good thing we have a quiet day tomorrow to recharge!

Ok...well, I know I haven't mentioned anything of what we've seen - but it's late and I need to head to bed. We're having a good time, but there's just a LOT going on!

More soon. I'll also try to get the photos off the camera tomorrow during our "down" time.

No comments: