Timeline

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Sleep... A lost art

Perhaps my child is channeling all of his recent newborn friends? Perhaps he's going to get an entire mouthful of teeth all at once? Perhaps he's suddenly developed separation anxiety? Perhaps his brain is trying to process so many new things that it just can't turn off?

I don't know, but it's making me very very tired.

When you have a newborn and you're waking every couple of hours to feed him or her, it's expected. You're nourishing a new life. You're providing comfort to a small person who's spent their entire life in a little ball in your belly. When your bouncing baby is 9 months old... you kind of want to sleep in more than 4 hour stretches. Seriously. I'm freaking exhausted.

Atticus has a nighttime routine. It's nothing new. It used to work like a charm. Even if his day had ups or downs, the nighttime routine was always consistent, and he went to sleep without a hitch. Then came vacation. (I know, I still owe everyone a detailed run blog post about vacation.) Since our return to the states, sleep (and the lack thereof) has been a big - let me rephrase - BIG issue. He doesn't want to sleep. Why do kids fight sleep so much? I just don't understand.

Tonight we're trying something new. We've moved his bedtime up by approximately 30 minutes. Bath time started at 7:30, followed by a quick book, nursing and bed. Well, it's it's now 8:33 and I think (by glancing at the monitor behind me) that he has finally fallen asleep. The bath went well, we read one of our favorite books, Pajama Time, yada yada... but the moment I laid Atticus in the crib, all hell broke loose. Crying, kicking, flailing all around....

Let's hope he stays asleep. At least until say... 4 am. I know not everyone has infants or toddlers that sleep through the night. Bless those who still get up in the middle of the night with their toddlers... but oy, vey - it's bloody exhausting.

No comments: