Timeline

Monday, January 24, 2011

Chicken and Dumplings

Since a few have asked, I'll share my recipe. I have to admit however that I subscribe to the "Rachel Ray" school of cooking... I just sort of wing it. :) I started with a recipe I found on AllRecipes.

Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings (because anything that can be done in the crockpot is a good thing!)

Boneless skinless chicken breasts (the pkg I used had 3 big breasts)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 T of butter
1 yellow onion chopped relatively finely
Couple handfuls of fresh mushrooms (I had them in the fridge and they needed to be eaten...)
1-2 cloves of garlic (the more the merrier if you ask me...)
about 2C of chicken broth or bouillon cube dissolved in hot water
variety of spices... I used salt, pepper, Mrs. Dash, cumin, paprika, parsley
1 small can of Pillsbury biscuits (I think the one I used was 7.5 ounces and 10 biscuits)

In crockpot, mix together: soup, onion, garlic, spices, butter. Smoosh the whole chicken breasts into the mixture. Pour the chicken broth over the top -- making sure that there's enough liquid to cover the whole mixture.

Cook on high for about 4 hours. Uncover the pot and use two forks to shred the chicken. Open the can of biscuits and one by one, squish them flat and tear them into pieces dropping them into the crockpot. Slightly push the biscuits to make sure they're in the liquid. Cover the crockpot and continue to cook another 90 minutes.

If it looks really soupy at the 90 minutes left mark -- you can mix either a couple tablespoons of flour or cornstarch in water and then into the pot. (I used cornstarch because I happened to have it -- but I think flour would have worked too.)

Greg and I each had a big bowl and there was plenty of leftovers for my lunches this week! Yum.


No comments: