Timeline

Friday, January 8, 2016

Birth Control Math

Just going to toss this out... birth control pills come in packs of 28.  One pack is supposed to last one month per insurance.  There is only one month in the year (not including leap years) when there are a mere 28 days in a month.  The rest of the months have more than the allotted 28 days.

28x12= 336
365-336=29 (see - we already need at least one more of the 28 day packs assuming you're "normal")

I however am not normal.  I only take 24 pills out of the 28 day package. 

There are 366 days in 2016.  I take 24 pills per package.  366/24=15.25  I will need 15.25 packages of pills for 2016. 

I tried to use the Cigna mail order pharmacy that would allow me to order a 3 month supply of pills.  A 3 month supply of pills for me is the equivalent of 4 packages.  4x24=96 days. 

Jan 31 days, Feb 29 days, March 31 days.  There are 91 days in the first 3 months of the year.  96 days worth of pills would cover the 91 days of needed coverage. 

3 packages of pills 3x24=72 pills.  72 pills will not cover 91 days of medication needed. 

I need 4 packages of pills for a 3 month supply. 

Why is this so complicated?  I've now spoken with 4 different people trying to get this straightened out.  The result is that thus far Cigna is sending me 3 packages (72 days) for my allotted $75 mail order cost and I'll still have to buy a one-off package from the local pharmacy to get me to my 4 packages needed.  Essentially - the mail order pharmacy isn't saving me any money because each package costs $25. 

Ugh.  Hopefully by the time I need the next mail order to be filled, I will get the necessary 4 packages for the cost of $75 (which is sort or like buy 3 get one 1 free).  I thought the entire purpose of mail order pharmacy was to cut the costs? 

I give up. 

On the upside, birth control in the UK was free so I had 2 years worth of pills there for free.  So there's always that to look back on...

No comments: