Timeline

Monday, August 8, 2016

Friendships.

Over the years, I've had really good luck making friends.  That's pretty impressive considering the amount of times I've moved recently... but sometimes, you land in a spot where it's just hard.

New York does not seem to be my state.

Sometimes, everything just clicks.  Perhaps because everything was just seamless in London, living here seems so much more difficult.  I miss having friends close by that I could just call on for no reason.  We could knock on their door just because we were walking by -- no other reason.  Our house was the same... there was as good a chance as not that some of us would meet up for a cup of tea, an impromptu play in the park, or just and old fashioned play date on the weekend.   San Francisco was like that.  Dallas/Austin was like that and London definitely so.

I don't have that here and I miss it.  I don't think I realized how much I missed it until I read this in an article yesterday.

I want to go to the grocery store with you. I want to see where your kids go to school and see them run and hug you when you pick them up in the afternoon. I want to sit with you in your kitchen, and cook with you at your stove. I want to sit in your living room and chat and have tea, and I want to walk out your front door and see what scene greets you every day. I want to see where you work, and what sits atop your office desk. I even want to know what your spring coat looks like, for goodness’ sake. Because I want to soak in your everyday, so I can tuck it away for the next time we talk. I need pictures in my head, and to know the sum of your days, because I miss you, old friend.

So today, I'm missing old friends.  Here's to seeing you soon...

No comments: