Timeline

Monday, October 16, 2017

Actions Speak Louder Than Words

I was given the opportunity to show my children that even people you know don't always do the right thing.  It sucks.

On Friday afternoon I arrived school to start setting up for Scare Fair.

2:07 I texted Greg a photo of a bike that was in the used sports good sale asking if we should get the bike for Wren.

2:15 I spoke with the Dad in charge of the bike sale and said I was interested in a bike.  He said great.

3:00 In anticipation of Greg's response, I wrote "SOLD BADEN" on the tag hanging from the handle bars.

3:10 Wren came over excited that she saw the SOLD sign on the bike.

3:59 Greg replied OK.

4:00 The kids and I had to go to Wren's taekwondo belt test.  I did NOT take the bike with me.  I figured that I had written my name and SOLD on the tag.  I just didn't think about it.

Saturday morning at 9:15 I arrived at school to do the heavy set up for Devilish Delights.  I walked through the sports good sale with my arms full of bake sale items and noticed the bike was missing.

I spoke with the Dad who looked a bit mortified and said he may have sold the bike to another mom.

We figured out who it was sold to and I went to talk to her.

I calmly explained that I had written our name and sold on the tag.  She looked me straight in the eye and first claimed that she actually bought a different bike.  She didn't.  Then she said that it didn't say my name on it.  It did.  Then she said that she'd already brought it home with her (totally my fault for not taking it at 4pm) and that it was hers?

Now I have to explain to Wren that her friend's mom took the bike I bought for her home and that she's not giving it back.  That sometimes, people don't do the right thing.








No comments: