Timeline

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

To Be a Freshman Again...

School officially starts tomorrow morning. 9:30 am. We are officially living like students once again. Granted, this place is WAY nicer than anywhere I lived as an undergrad! I know, I know... I need to post some pictures!

Sunday afternoon we were invited to a get together for "older students" at a local coffee shop. This would have been much more enjoyable had the meeting space been indoors and/or a wee bit bigger. It was pretty much like being in a sauna with 40 people you've just met. We did meet some great folks though, including a couple that lives in our apartment complex. Oddly enough, we didn't meet anyone else that was in Greg's section - bum deal. The class of 2010 is divided into 4 sections aptly named A, B, C and D. Within each section are two "Societies" -- Greg's is called Cardena. Within each society are two mentor groups. Whew. The mentor group is composed of approximately 27 students, and Greg will have every class with these guys for the entire first year. His mentor, Christina, is a 3L and she's only 24 years old. Hmmmm, I was 23 when I graduated undergrad! But I digress... I enjoyed meeting some of the classmates at the coffee shop. Then, yesterday afternoon, after the first day of orientation, there was a BBQ where we were able to meet up again and chat a bit more. We traded phone numbers with several other couples and now I'll be in the hotseat to make sure that we stay connected since Greg won't have classes with all the great people we've met so far. Not to say that some of his mentor group won't turn out to be cool too.... but I somehow feel more connected to the "older" students. Go figure, right?

In UT football news - it appears we will be unable to use our tickets for the TX v. OU game at the Cottonbowl this year. Greg's friend from highschool, Tony Borton, is getting married out in LA. We'll be selling the tickets for what we paid (I have no clue right now what that is) but thought I'd throw it out there if anyone was interested. Can you believe they just signed Mack Brown to another 10 year contract for ridiculous sums of money? Ugh. Makes me sick actually. $3M a year could be better spent on a LOT of things... say helping feed starving children, improving our education system -- the actual part where kids go to school to learn, etc. Sigh... seriously people, he's a football coach.

No comments: