Timeline

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Yom Kippur

Seems strange to not be at services today. There has only been one other time perhaps where I was unable to attend some kind of service for the holiday. I did plug in my remembrance candle, say my prayers and think a long time about the past year, and the year to come. And - Greg is fasting with me. I'm not sure he's a willing participant in the fast, but he's doing it...

Greg's old boss happened to be in town yesterday for a meeting. This isn't his most recent boss, but rather a guy he truly enjoyed working for - for many years. Kevin is one of those great mentor types. The kind that you'd work for again and again - no matter what company he was at. And, since Kevin was unable to make it to our wedding, it was my first time to meet him (after years of stories...). He was most gracious and took us out to dinner as a belated wedding gift. We went to a great place called Eddie V's. I have to say the meal was superb! I had glanced at the menu before we arrived at the restaurant and my mouth was watering already by the time we sat down. I was able to amuse the waiter when he asked what I would like as a 1st course. My response: Bananas Foster Flambe please. :-) Yes, I realize it's dessert... but I know I want it, and I'd like to make sure that there's room... so I'll have it as an appetizer. The boys chose to share an order of calemari from Point Judith, RI. This too was amusing because as the waiter was describing the specials of the evening he mentioned "Point Judith Calamari" and Kevin said, "As in Rhode Island??" Yes..... turns out Kevin has gone to this specific spot in RI many times. Crazy. Dinner was excellent. I even chose to order fish - trying to be healthy and figuring if I'm going to try to eat seafood, a high end place would be the best place to try something new! I had Alaskan Halibut and it was really freaking good. Everything was really freaking good.

Today is the UT v Rice football game, so of course the fall weather disappeared and it's now once again sunny and 95 degrees. Seriously people, can't I get some clouds for a home game? Or a nice breezy 85 degree afternoon. Is that too much to ask? We've also just listed our tickets to the UT v OU football game on StubHub. We were just going to sell them to friends of friends for face value, but it turns out people are willing to spend crazy amounts of $$ for these tickets, so we're going to attempt to sell them for a profit. We have good tickets. This of course bums out Greg but... we'll be having a good time that weekend in LA.

Oh, and I've finally taken some new pictures of the apartment! But, at the moment I'm on my laptop and the pictures are on the desktop - so it'll take me one more post to get my ducks in a row.

Ok, we're off to find something useful to do before the game. Bummer that I won't get to go to a huge "Break Fast" for the end of Yom Kippur... guess a corney dog at the game will have to do once the sun sets!

No comments: