Timeline

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

For Pete's Sake

Really? Really? Have I angered the heavens or what? (See earlier post about "car-ma")

The unlucky streak continues...just a lot of little things all conspiring to drive me crazy! Time Warner has been freaking out - blipping in it's connection several times a day. This means that with every blip my Internet access blips and I lose connection for a brief moment. I work from home. I'm suddenly attending alot of conference calls. The blipping is really annoying. Also annoying is that we have Vonage for our home phone service. Vonage is a VoIP system that uses, guess what - the freaking Internet. Every time the Internet blips, my phone calls drop! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

But alas, it was almost TX-OU weekend. In about 20 minutes flat last Thursday, I managed to pack myself, Atticus and most of my scrapbook stuff. We loaded the car and headed north to Dallas. Arrived about midnight and crawled into bed. Friday morning I hung out with my Mom and Atticus and about lunch time hit the road for the retreat. Driving to the freeway, I passed a Chick-fil-A and suddenly a strawberry milkshake sounded fantastic. So, now me, all my stuff and my milkshake are on the way to HeavenLeigh Escape. I've got my iPhone on my lap, my ear buds in my ear, and I'm about to call my friend Mel to check in on her and new baby Meaghan. I'm driving on I-35 in Lewisville, cringing at the OU traffic headed south into Dallas, and I pick up my milkshake. The milkshake has one of those domed lids. I carefully grab the cup from the top (can't grab it from the side in the cup holder) but wouldn't you just know it... the lid comes off, my fingers go plunging into the shake and the shake dumps out all over my iPhone and my lap. G-R-E-A-T! I finally manage to pull over and stop in the parking lot of some law firm on the side of the road. I jump out of the car, attempting to shake the milkshake off my lap. I was only partly successful. UGH. The only good news - is that at least I was on my way to a retreat and I had a suitcase in the trunk with more clothes! A quick changeroo in the front seat and I was once again on my way...

The retreat itself was fantastic. I don't know if I could live out there full-time - it's a little too close to nature - but it was a great, great weekend. We watched tons of girlie movies - The Other Boleyn Girl, Failure to Launch, Where the Heart Is, The Women and a few others. We had the luxury of having someone else do the cooking and cleaning up - and that my friends was worth it alone! I was also able to get in a nap and just sit out on the porch and soak in some sunshine and country air. Greg played some golf with my brother, picked up his friend Rob, and on Saturday attended the TX-OU game at the Texas State Fair. Unfortunately, they were part of the crowd that tried to take DART from the hotel to the Fair.... guess they still have some wrinkles to iron out! But, a good weekend for both of us. We stayed on Sunday to grab some dinner with my parents, then hit the road to return to Austin. I think we made the right move, we didn't hit any of the return traffic on the way home!

No comments: