Timeline

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

High Maintenance

I think I'm a little high maintenance for this town. And I'm okay with that... It all started before we moved to Ohio. Our landlords were talking to the neighbors - and mentioned to the family across the street that we needed someone to mow the lawn. Yes, the landlords were leaving their lawnmower here at the house -- but I wasn't going to mow the lawn, and Greg had no interest in doing it either. This is apparently pretty uncommon here -- you don't see lawn service companies on every corner. Brianna, the 22 year old neighbor's daughter had originally offered to do it for us -- but the landlord's son has been the one thus far with the exciting duty. :)

I learned a lot of this last week when Brianna was over to babysit Wren. I asked her about the piles of leaves at the corner of the lawns -- apparently, you're supposed to rake your lawn and leave these piles at the edge of your lawn/driveway. A couple times a season (?) these big trucks come down the street with a HUGE leaf sucker attachment and suck up and mulch the leaves, dumping them into a big truck.

On a side note - I attempted to rake leaves for the first time today over my lunch break. I know I'm high maintenance because I'd definitely rather pay someone than do that again! And I didn't do that great of a job... whether that's because I've never raked leaves, or I just gave up about 30 minutes into the task... not sure. But anyways -- I'll probably give it one or two more attempts over the next few days - but YUCK.

Back to the conversation with Brianna... what happens when it snows? She just laughed and said she'd shovel our driveway. But now I'm feeling kinda bad. Really -- we're going to pay a 22 year old girl to shovel our driveway? I just really really don't see Greg out there shoveling. Ha. Maybe he'll prove me wrong. I doubt it. Brianna said that when she heard from the landlords that we don't mow our own lawn, she was thinking -- geez, what kind of high maintenance people are moving in?!?

Do you know how to paint your toes when pregnant? I recall my sister-in-law, Yvonne, asking me that when I was pregnant with Atticus. She was giving me tips on how to stand with your foot on the edge of the tub or toilet seat to make the "reach" easier. I know I laughed and said, yep -- I have another way too! I go and sit in a big squishy chair, with a warm lavender scented neck wrap, and let someone else massage my feet and paint my toes! :)

It's not that I'm opposed to the DIY method of bathroom cleaning, lawn mowing, snow shoveling (okay... maybe I am opposed to the latter) - but I'm spoiled. And high maintenance. And there are so many other things I'd rather be doing with my time...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You were born to live in NEW YORK CITY baby! I tell my mum when she visits... "we don't clean, do our own laundry or cook" let alone paint our own nails or do anything with snow or leaves :) xx Fleur

rhondadiane said...

OMG! Thank you for finally speaking the words i was always afraid to say out-loud! Whew! It's finally out there: we're girly-girls and we don't like that stuff! And BTW, apparently you did not do the raking correctly, or you would be complaining of blisters!! :)I luv U!