Timeline

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Chili Cook-Off

I've forgotten to post about this...

The beginning of last week, Greg informs me that he's entered a chili cook-off at the courthouse and would like me to make a white chicken chili. Totally random, eh? I'd been talking about making some for us for dinner -- but not an entire crockpot full for a competition! Eeek. I googled, I looked around, I checked some recipes I had stowed away... the best online reference I came up with was for what is believed to be Willie Nelson's White Chili. I never really follow recipes to the letter anyways - it was really just a jumping off point for me. We did follow it pretty closely and we did win 3rd place. Not bad for a brand new recipe!

Here are a few of the changes I'm going to make for my next batch...
- reduce the amount of stock by about 1/2 C
- in addition to the dry beans that soak overnight, I'd like to take some canned beans and mash them up to add some thickness to the chili
- increase the garlic slightly (one can never have too much garlic)
- increase the sour cream to 2 cups
- measure the amount of peperjack cheese that I put in the pot. :)

Things to keep the same that aren't necessarily in the recipe:
- saute the onions and garlic together
- use pepperjack cheese instead of plain monterrey jack
- use half cayenne and half chipotle pepper
- use fresh poblano peppers
- use light sour cream (one has to cut some of the calories somewhere!)

No comments: