Timeline

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Preschool Consultants

I know it's probably possible to find a good and reputable preschool that doesn't require laying a golden egg for admission -- but I'm starting to panic.  I don't need my kids to attend the most prestigious school -- I think it's silly to be grooming them from birth on spatial relationships and vocabulary words just so they can get into the "right" preschool.  Three year olds want paint and play-doh and blocks -- not to be quizzed on the state capitols or to complete the shape sequence in a puzzle.

But... I do realize that school choices can affect your long term success.  Sad, but a lot of the world still revolves around where you went to school, your grades and who you know.  And - since I know pretty much squat about the Manhattan area preschools (and there are at least 75 of them), we're looking into hiring a consultant to help us figure out where to concentrate.  What would be the best fit for us and for our kids?  Once we narrow down the choices, then we can turn in our applications and get ready for the testing and the interviews.  Yes, seriously.  They have to interview you and your kids for their spots at the school. It makes sense in a weird way.  The school is aiming to have a good mix of boys, girls and different types of personalities.  They don't want an entire class of bossy kids or an entire class of mousy shy wall flowers.  Ugh.

So -- the choice now is how big of a package do we want or need from these companies that help with the preschool process?  The basics can run about $750 to $1000.  That will provide the basic details on the types of schools, the types of tests, the locations, the chances of admission, what the schools are looking for, blah blah blah.  If you want the more advanced packages -- between $3000 and $4500 the consultants will help groom you and your children for the tests and interviews.  The catch?  If you start with the initial basics and then decide to "upgrade" there's no price break - which I feel is kind of mean and dumb.  But I suppose people are willing to pay, so that's the way the rules work.  There are only so many "spots" available for the full intensive coaching - and we're already late in the admissions game so if we want to do the full shebang, we have to decide this week.

Ugh.  And none of this takes into account trying to find and/or continue occupational therapy for Atticus.  We're starting next week back with OT -- so maybe after a year or so of weekly sessions he'll be a happy  and somewhat focused 3 year old?  We'll see!

Oh -- and don't even bother to ask what the tuition is at some of these "good" preschools and nursery school programs.  Oy vey!  It's enough to make you faint.

2 comments:

Autumn Crawford said...

Leah (age 3) is in preschool. It is an in home preschool, 6 girls. Twice a week for 3 hours (I have a carpool so I only drive in the mornings). It costs $100 a month. The teacher has a masters degree in education. Today I took Leah to a fall celebration play date at my church. Leah's preschool teacher was there, Leah was upset about something when she was playing with another boy there, I was across the room but Leah's preschool teacher was just a foot away from her, so Leah put her head on the teacher's knee, the teacher was in the middle of a conversation but she immediately started comforting Leah, then, after she finished her sentence she looked down at Leah and asked, "what's the matter?" and Leah got teary eyed and told her the problem. It was great to see the relationship that they have. That was why I wanted to go the in home preschool route, so that she would have more of a home and mother setting. Also, we are hiring a mother's helper to do housework a couple days a week and help with Alice (5 months) to free me up to do some one on one teaching with Leah (I taught elementary school for a few years). So that's what we're doing.

Jen B said...

Autumn, it sounds like you've got a great setup. And - having a teaching background is a huge plus. I think the school where Atticus and Wren attend now (part of Tulane University) is much more of a preschool environment than a daycare which is good. Atticus has developed a nice bond with his teacher too and after our initial transition period of new kids/new place/new teacher -- he seems to be thriving. We have a parent/teacher conference today at 1:30, so I'll know more this afternoon. For NYC, I'm just concerned about finding a school that's a good fit for him. And ideally - I want the kids to attend an international school which just adds one more layer of considerations to the process.

I think having a mother's helper will be good and allow you the time you need to focus on teaching Leah. I've been reading several mom blogs - I really like the Play at Home Mom. I've been trying to incorporate her ideas and activities into our weekends. Atticus seems to enjoy it. I'm sure you have some great ideas too! We'll have to continue to trade notes on what you're working on with Leah and other tips/tricks. :)