Timeline

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Lagging.

I've been a bad blogger lately.  Not sure why really -- just haven't felt the spark I suppose.

Things are picking up in pace around here.  We've decided to stay home for Thanksgiving and I'm planning a mini feast.  I picked up a small Butterball Turkey Breast which just moved from the freezer to the fridge.  I'm going for the not so fancy, but ever popular green bean casserole, my cousin Sarah's absolutely delish sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, bourbon cranberries, rolls and pumpkin pie.  I really want to make the butternut squash bread pudding too -- but I'm afraid I'm already at the overkill level since who knows how much the littles will actually eat.  I may pick up some brie today at the store for leftover sandwiches.  I saw this yummy looking post for turkey and cranberry monte cristo sandwiches.

I've been doing more cooking lately.  Part of my obsession with the site Pinterest is you can visually search for food.  Sounds odd - and I suppose a lot depends on the quality of the photograph -- but I've found some new recipes.  We made these Chicken Enchilada Puffs last night and while the kids weren't huge fans -- Greg and I both liked them.  Have I mentioned that I stopped cooking separate meals for the kids?  Yep -- they get what we get.  Oh -- I make some kid friendly sides -- past few nights have included edamame, sweet corn, sweet potato fries, etc -- but there is only one main dish.  Like it or leave it.  We haven't had a ton of success yet -- but it's a work in process.  I thought surely Wren would have loved the White Castle little slider sandwiches the other night, considering her love of beef, but maybe it was an off night?  Eh... at least I'm trying and they're trying too...

Wren's finally feeling a bit better.  She and I finally got to meet Dr. Glick yesterday for her 18 month checkup.  I'd post her stats, but I actually didn't write them down -- plus the PA weighed her in her clothes and before I changed her diaper!  Totally threw off the weight for the day I promise!!  Dr. Glick was totally floored by how vocal Wren is -- her vocabulary is huge for 18 months.  I mean, I knew she had a relatively large vocab -- but sounds like it's even more impressive than I thought.  Figures though... our little songbird came out wailing so it was only a matter of time before those wails turned into words.  Her cough is getting better - but still hanging on a wee bit.  She's now on Zyrtec and Nasonex to clear up any extra drainage and she's just finished a round of antibiotics in an attempt to clear up any sinus infection that may still be lingering.  We're going to continue the antibiotics for a few more days until she's symptom free for 5-7 days.  Then -- if the cough returns, she's off to see an allergist, immunologist and who knows who else for a bit more digging into the long term cough.  We've pretty much ruled out asthma -- I have asthma -- and this just doesn't fit the profile.  So -- that leaves a possible infection in the adnoids that hasn't wanted to clear, keeps coming and going... a possible reaction to the Prevnar vaccine, an undiagnosed allergy (to who knows what...) and I think those were the only things mentioned yesterday.  Dr. Glick really did spend her time listening to my concerns though and asking a ton of questions about when/why/how.  I was much happier with her than the other two doctors I've seen thus far... Of course, she's the one who was recommended by Dr. Owens who we adore!  Otherwise, Wren is doing great.

Atticus is a enjoying soccer, but it's a bit of a mixed bag of results thus far.  He's so excited to go, and he's paying more attention than I gave him credit for initially -- but when the "team" breaks for halftime/break -- he starts to lose interest.  Bummer.  Maybe soccer won't be his cup of tea, but it's been good for his listening skills, coordination and just general outside activity.  There are a few kids from his class at soccer, so that's been helpful to have a couple familiar faces.  One little boy, Davis, is a cutie.  He is about 6 months older than Atticus and he always comes and sits next to him before class.  I'm not really sure why since during the first class Atticus bopped him on the head for no apparent reason!  But, Davis has taken to Atti and tries to help him out.  It's good to watch.

Atticus has been asking lately for swim lessons.  I definitely think we'll be signing up for those at the JCC this year.  His memory recall of certain events never ceases to amaze.  It was in the bath a couple weeks ago that Atti was recalling how I dove off the diving board at my parent's pool this summer.  That's what has sparked his desire to "swim like a fishy under the water".  Although, the recent trip to the Audubon Aquarium probably had something to do with it too!  If the weather cooperates this weekend, maybe it's time for us to bite the bullet and become members of the zoo and aquarium.  The kids really had a blast.  Atticus keeps talking about petting the "sting rags" on the nose and Wren is fascinated with penguins.

No comments: