Timeline

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Brunch

My favorite meal. I love brunch. It makes me happy.

I was a little concerned to leave Austin and Flip Happy Crepes for the summer, but we stumbled upon a gem of a place yesterday called Nook. What a delight. Yes, it was a tiny restaurant - I think the max occupancy is 28, but it was fantastic. Greg had Eggs Benedict and I had potato pancakes with sour cream and salmon. Yum, yum, yum. The coffee was excellent, the service was excellent, (we apparently stumbled in at just the right time to snag a 4 top table), the food was incredible... what a great way to spend a Saturday morning.

Today, we ventured to another little joint on restaurant row. (Did I mention I'm going to gain 10 pounds this summer living at the corner of restaurant row??) We stopped in today at Galaxy Diner. We were greeted promptly, and the hostess was great about helping us stow the stroller and bringing out a highchair to the lovely little patio... but that's about where the excitement stopped. The food was ok, the prices were ok, the coffee was ok - but nothing really stood out. The funny part of the morning was that the family sitting next to us noticed Greg's A&M ring and that got us all talking. The daughter (who looks about my age-ish) lives here in the city and her parents were visiting from Dallas. Ha. Actually Richardson. Their other daughter lives in Plano and takes their grandchild to the Gymboree right next to my parent's house. It's a small world. I didn't ask their names, but I'm sure we probably know some of the same people....

But back to brunch... hee hee... When we left the diner, we stopped by Amy's Breads - which was hopping with a line out the door and almost around the block! I picked up a couple sticky buns for tomorrow morning, a blueberry muffin and a black and white cupcake which was dessert tonight. The cupcake was delish and I'm guessing by the line out the door, the place is good. I may have to go back during the week to pick up some of their breads. Thankfully, no Atkins diet for me! We've found all these places thus far just by walking out the door and walking a block or two. Here's another link to the Amy's Bread homepage. I have a feeling we'll definitely be back to Nook and Amy's and who knows where else.

No comments: