Timeline

Monday, September 24, 2012

Stress

Can't a girl catch a break?  I know I've said that many times over, but come on...

We left my folks house about 7:40 in the morning.  We finally arrived in White Plains, NY (no... not even Manhattan) somewhere around 1:30 am.  It was a LOOOOOONG day and I swear on my life I will never ever ever ever travel alone with two toddlers on connecting flights.  Never Ever.  Do you read me?  I don't care what event or celebration or tragedy is/has occurred.  I'm not going to do it.  The kids did great on the flight from DFW to CLT.  After that -- the day just went downhill.  Our flight to LGA was cancelled.  We tried to get on a flight to DCA that was then going onto LGA.  We ran quite literally to the gate where the gate agent was a wicked witch and told me that the jet bridge was closed and that we were not getting on the flight despite what we'd been told - and that we should go back to see who ever had told us that we were confirmed.  UGH.  Nice, eh?  So, we caught a ride with a buggy and went back to the US Airways club.  The very very nice agent then rebooked us on the next flight to DCA and then onto LGA.  Then that flight was delayed and delayed and delayed.  We finally landed in DCA and then learned that our next flight was delayed.  Then it was cancelled.  There were some crazy storms going on in NYC -- but I was determined to get to the city.  I was down to our last couple of diapers and the kids were cranky as all get up.  We hadn't really eaten anything but snacks all day and it was time to get HOME.  We were finally able to secure three tickets on a flight into White Plains which is about 45 minutes north of the city.  The club closed down for the night and we made our way over to the gate.  Then we went downstairs.  Then we got on a bus.  Then we got off a bus.  Then we tried waiting by some chairs next to where we were to board the bus and someone had the nerve to tell me that the area where I was standing was for people with disabilities only.  I looked at him and asked if my two screaming toddlers weren't a disability/special needs then I wasn't sure what else I needed to do to qualify.  I moved the kids two feet to the left and then proceeded to break down in tears.  Some very nice Scottish gentleman (who happened to be dads) took pity on us and helped me calm the kids and then carry all of our gear onto the bus, onto the hopper plane and then off the hopper plane.

It was a LOOOOOOOOOONG day.

Oh. So now we're in NYC.  Fantastic, eh?  Not so much - there are still a ton of boxes everywhere and the kids are totally freaked out about everything.  It's loud.  They can't find certain things.  There are people everywhere.  There are dogs everywhere.  There are a LOT of NO touches for Atticus.  There is a ton of tension to say the least.  We were able to visit the new daycare a few times last week and then today marked their first day on their own.  Surprisingly, today was our smoothest day yet.  Go figure.  Until tonight... Wren has been freaking out at bedtime.  I'm not sure if she got used to sharing a room with Atticus or if the noises are bothering her - but she has been having a tough time at night.  She's crying that she doesn't want to sleep in her room that she wants to stay with me.  :(  Atticus has been waking at least once a night from the noises.  I think I'll stop by the drugstore across the street tomorrow to investigate ear plugs for the kids.

Greg and I did manage to unpack the better part of the kitchen today which will be helpful.  Maybe it's just our upbringing, but I think I cook more than I realized!  Eating out in this town is easy, but it's not cheap.  Granted, neither is the grocery store -- but it has to be better than all the eating out!

So yeah, stress.

Oh... and then today... while sitting outside of the daycare (making sure all was going okay) I thought I'd clean up my iPhone.  Everytime I clicked on my email, I was prompted for my Hitachi password (since my account is no longer active).  I thought I'd be all crafty and delete the account since I don't need any of the emails anymore.  Sigh.  That was the WRONG choice.  I inadvertently deleted all of my contacts too.  8 years worth of contacts that had been entered via my work laptop are GONE.  We've checked my Mac, but apparently they weren't backed up there.  Damn, damn, damn.  It's not even the basics like cell phones and addresses -- it's all the notes, the spouse information, the birth dates and anniversaries... it's all gone.  All the info I saved just before I left the company... gone.  All the doctor referrals, general life contacts, gone... If I had more energy I'd be pissed as all get up, but I just don't have it in me.  I'm just sad.

No comments: