Timeline

Friday, July 4, 2014

Happy 4th of July

It seems really odd that today is the 4th of July.  To me, it's just the last day of the summer term for the kids at school.  There was an end of term party, we passed out gifts to the teachers, we had a huge picnic in the common by the bandstand with friends...

But... today is the 4th of July.  Stating the obvious, I know - but here in London, it really is just another day.  Strange.

One year ago, the kids, Greg and I headed across town and up to Greg's office way up high at Worldwide Plaza in New York City.  We smushed our faces into his huge windows overlooking the Hudson River.  We watched a solid hour of fireworks explode over the Big Apple.

364 days ago.  Time is such an odd bird.  Sometimes it goes so incredibly fast -- I mean, seriously, Atticus will be 6 in two weeks!  But at the same time, I feel like London is home and I can hardly believe we've only lived here a year.  Life seems to work here.  Yes, the weather is a bit unpredictable and the winter rains seemed to go on and on and on and on -- but for the most part, it's really great.  Just see the earlier mention of hanging out in the park and common with friends and picnic blankets.  The kids get to be kids.  Running around, picking flowers, skipping rope, climbing trees, kicking a ball -- and I get to sit with friends in the shade and watch it all.

Now I'm home... the kids are sitting watching the start of How to Train Your Dragon while dinner cooks in the oven.  The windows are open, the sun shines down, we can smell our neighbor's bbq grill, we can see bubbles floating up and over the fence.  I don't know.  I know it's not "home" but today's a good day.

I'll miss the fireworks and the big family bbq -- but we've got a big ex pat bbq tomorrow with friends.  We've rented out a local center that's stocked with toys, has a huge garden with a splash pool, toys, etc.  We're all bringing pot luck dishes and there should be close to 40 folks there!  I'm looking forward to it.. we'll discuss the Macy's fireworks that we're watching on the telly.  (Yes, telly... got to keep up with the Jones' vernacular around here!!)

No comments: